 Off-Topic / Debate / 17792
Re: Are we all processes in a simulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:24:38 GMT

At the risk of starting too many interesting threads at once, I present a
link I found by reading Kung Fool, a rather amusing webcomic.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

I only STARTED reading this, I haven't read to the end yet but it's
fascinating so far!

I can say this, though.. I am NOT a process running on an RCX.. it would
take a much more powerful computer to simulate MY twistiness. :-)

Pat Shepard (posted here a few years ago a few times) worked for me at MU and
had dropped out of the PhD program in philosophy to learn Flash and stuff.  He
seemed to pretty seriously believe in this.  But then he was a
seminary student for a long time too...

Are you saying you don't buy it? I finished it and I have to admit it's a
persuasive argument as written. So either he's right or there is some
assumption left out or logic flaw... (certainly possible!)

To a certain extent it doesn't matter whether it's correct or not though,
does it? Proceed on the assumption this is reality and trust the computers
to keep all the evidence consistent.