 Off-Topic / Debate / 17754
Re: For Those That *Don't Get* the 2nd Amendement (was Re: Those stupid liberal)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:13:10 GMT

Didn't we dispose of this red herring already? Really, it's rather tiresome
going round and round and round with you...<snip>...and it doesn't score you
any points with the regulars, you may want to stop.

Yeah, really!

What I find annoying is the refusal of some people to do their own homework
(i.e ANY reading at all).

I think the meaning of the 2nd Amendment is actually fairly clear, although
at this precise moment in time it may be wished that the framers had used
more precise and absolutely unequivocal language.  For those that doubt the
meaning as intended by the framers of the Constitution I provide the
following *beginners* list of points that has been checked against multiple
sources -- argue against the meaning of the 2nd Amendment if you are so
inclined, but let's stop arguing over the meaning of it regardless of what
current authorities may claim to the contrary [N.B. an attempt has been made
to cite URLs that would be deemed as carrying authority because of where
they are hosted, but you can find all of these quotes in your local library
too!]:

00. The framers regularly used the terms army and militia, but not
interchangably!  There is ample proof of this.

01. "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands]."
wrote Thomas Jefferson in his proposed Virginia Constitution of 1776.

1776!! Rip up that scrap of paper and give yourself a constitution which
reflects the needs and aspirations of your countrywo/men today - not what
may (or may not) have existed 200+ years ago. ;)

Scott A