 Off-Topic / Debate / 17593
Re: Poll tax! (was: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:57:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

You have to pay a tax TO VOTE???!!!   :-O

No, we currently do not. That's the UK I think(1).

The real UK Poll tax was a very long time ago - perhaps 100's of years
ago(?). In the 80's Thatcher introduced a tax for which she intended to use
the electoral role to set up the database of payees - this became known as
the “poll tax” as only those who voted would have to pay the tax. By the
time it was introduced, the link with the electoral role had been broken but
the name stuck.

The 80's poll tax was much misunderstood. It resulted in huge
demonstrations, rioting and was key in destroying Thatcher.

Scott A