 Off-Topic / Debate / 17570
Re: Poll tax! (was: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 04:58:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

You have to pay a tax TO VOTE???!!!   :-O

No, we currently do not. That's the UK I think(1). I was talking about under
an idealised constitution if I got to write it.

1 - or at least I recall that there was some talk of introducing same. Note
that a "poll tax" was used as a repressive device to disenfranchise blacks
in the south not all that long ago in the US. Along with other devices such
as "literacy tests".

I would support either or both as long as they are fairly administered, but
not the way they were used then.

I'm elitist, I think voting is a privilege and see no reason to allow just
anyone to vote. If you can't read, aren't rational and don't have any money,
why should you get to vote? (an interesting system would be to require at
least 1 of the three to be able to vote... or as RAH proposed, you pay an
ante, then take an intelligence test. If you pass, you get to vote and you
get your ante back. If you fail, no vote and no ante)