 Off-Topic / Debate / 17555
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:11:14 GMT

The fact is that the vast majority of Americans believe that we are a country
under God.

Believing in God, and believing we are a country under God (a theocracy) are
two vastly different things.  Even if you are accurate in your claim, it
would simply indicate that the vast majority of Americans are delusional (50
million Frenchmen sitting behind their impregnable Maginot Line *can* be wrong).

The religious background of those same Americans is wildly
different.  They like saying "under God" and "God bless America"-- using God
language.  They would never force anyone to believe it, or even to say it, but
they like having it, because it is patriotic, and it makes them feel connected
and good.  It is our way to express that we are different than all nations,
that we have been blessed, and that we have a responsibility to carry the
banner of freedom and liberty in the world today.

I singularly hate the clossosal arrogance of those that believe God has
singled out any nation as most blessed or most (self-) righteous.  I don't
care who says it: England, Japan, America, France, Israel, Iran, etc.
Confusing arrogance with patriotism gives patriotism a bad name (there is
always the implication that if you have a problem with the "under God", you
must not be patriotic).

How many senators last year on 9-11 sang along with "God Bless America" who
were atheists?  A lot.  Why?  Because it was the patriotic thing (if not
politically wise) to do.

Under the circumstances, the national anthem would have been more
appropriate by far.

And let's face it.  This whole hubbub is politics.  Michael Newdow has issues.
  There's no tyranny or persecution going on-- if anything I'd say that
Christianity itself is being persecuted.

Inasmuch as Christianity is attempting to inflict itself on everyone (they
couldn't stand that the pledge of allegiance didn't reference God, as just
one example, and had to change it), I think it is the other way around.

So I say to atheists-- let the misguided be.  It's all a bunch of hooey anyway;
why let it bother you?  Think of it as Nationalism (which I believe much of it
is), or is it with Nationalism that you all have a problem?

I have a problem with defining Nationalism only in religious terms.

I'm just afraid that if atheists like Newdow keep pressing these issues, there
is going to be a nasty backlash that nobody wants to see.

No, because Christians kept pressing their agenda, you are seeing the
backlash *now*.

Bruce