 Off-Topic / Debate / 17333
Re: My one minute recap of the recent debate wreck...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:27:44 GMT

Norse God of Thunder = Thor
dogpoop = Cheech and Chong
Black Madonna = Paganism is alive and well in the Roman Catholic Church.
Green Fairies = Absinthe
Aristotle = High Priest of rational inquiry

FWIW, and although I realize no one cares and it is not very useful to
anyone but me, I sometimes think of myself as a "neo-pagan". What exactly
that means changes a lot for me, but it has more to do with rituals and acts
that appease certain parts of brain with aesthetic beauty than a specific
belief system. The closest I have come to describing my personal image of
the divine here in off-topic.debate was when I stated the following
(http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12748 ):

MY fantasy is one of an Earth Mother locked in the act of love with the
Horned God of the Sun. I don't happen to ACTUALLY believe in my fantasy,
but I think it is more aesthetically pleasing than your fantasy...

Can we all agree it is quite obnoxious to rub others' noses in one's own
personal beliefs and faith-imagery?  Really, it's a very private matter...

...it also has no bearing on our accepted communal reality, nor should it.

-- Hop-Frog

I've been inclining towards some sort of 'Gaia' system, wherein the earth is
the mother of all things living.  I mean, in our daily lives, microbes on
mars or concepts of aliens on another planet are fun do discuss and
theorize, but when I leave the classroom, I walk outside and the trees, and
grass create oxygen for me to breathe, the plants and animals give me food
to eat, and it's like the ongoing 'circle of life'.

More like a 'Tapestry' of life, where everything is interdependant on
everything else, and to do damage to one part of the tapestry not only
detracts from the entire tapestry, but will degrade the other parts as well.

Like hunting species to extinction, dumping waste recklessly, and such.

This very year, I gave my girlfriend a book called 'Humanure', which goes
into composting toilets. It's an interesting read--dunno if I want the
'inconvenience' of composting 'crap' yet, though.

Tho when you think about it, for every flush of a regluar toidy, you know
how much *drinking* water we're polluting?

They also say that wars in the near future won't be over women, land, or
money, but over water, and I'm sitting in a country that has 40 percent of
the fresh water in the world.

Anyway, thoughts from Dave.

And I definitely don't want to rub anyone's nose into my recently developed
composting ideas ;)

Dave K