 Off-Topic / Debate / 17252
Re: tolerant morals are a blueprint to disaster (but I don't force a change)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:37:40 GMT

I note that you're already putting a spin on it that presupposes your view
to be right and mine to be wrong; specifically, you are saying that your
favorable emotional response that directly affects only you is correct but
my unfavorable emotional response that directly affects only me is not.

Actually, I didn't.  I said that I "bet" that you would feel differently if
things had been different.

Regardless of the love present in or absent from my parents' coitus, what if
the simple spectacle of them is aesthetically unappealing to me on a visual
level?

That would be fine with me.  But I think the "ickyness" that we feel when
considering our parents having sex is based on having sex be such a taboo
subject and our holding our parents out to be different from everyone else.  If
we'd grown up watching them have sex, I think it would go a long way to
normalizing sexuality (which I _think_ would be a good thing) and removing our
icky gut reaction.  But this is all guesswork on my part.  I haven't tested the
theory to any real extent.

Chris