 Off-Topic / Debate / 17234
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:23:38 GMT

I'm continuting to try to focus us down on this conversation to a relatively
few points since we're getting crazy in our post lengths.

What is it that to your way of thinking is outside the realm
of scientific inquiry, that I (or others) have been ignoring?

Do you agree that the scientific method is a good tool for investigating
_anything_ that can be perceived?  That would be my assertion.

Anything in the physical world can be investigated by the scientific method.

So the short answer is "yes," right?  You do agree with me.  Since our senses
are physical, anything that can be perceived takes place in the "physical
world."  Right?

Now...what is the non-physical world?

most artists say they were 'inspired', whether by a muse or
something.  Science can understand what makes up the art, but
it cannot give us a point by point method for producing art.

I don't believe that for a second.  It just hasn't done so yet.  We are
studying the human sense of aesthetic and we will continue to do so.  We will
make generalizations and refinements.  I expect serious computer-generated art
in 20 years.

Chris