 Off-Topic / Debate / 17233
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:09:10 GMT

David, I get your stance on the commandment now.  They aren't actually laws
that God passed down about how to live your life.  They're just good ideas.
I'm pretty sure that's not how most Christians would characterize them, but
that's really neither here nor their.

But you did say that nailing your neighbor's wife is _immoral_.  Not just
unwise, not potentially fraught with long term adverse affects, and not just
yucky to your personal aesthetic.  You said immoral.  And you asserted moral
absolutes.  So I'd appreciate a clarification on your part.

Is adultery universally immoral?  If so, in what sense, and what do you think
morality means?

So I've written this instead of a point by point, but I want to do a little
response to select bits below.  This isn't about morality, but it is about sex:

Forgetting STD,s 'n such, how can you keep the
concept that if you and your wife are 'swapping' that she won't find a
better physical lover than you?

Wouldn't it be great if she did?  She would have found a way to more fully
experience joy.  I love my wife very deeply, so why would I want to hold her
back from that?

she may think perhaps you're doing someone on the
side, that she doesn't know about.

Why would she think that?  My wife and I don't lie to one another.  We have
more trust than I have ever experienced in any kind of relationship.  Lying is
simply not needed.

I mean, you've opened up a Pandoras Box of emotional issues.

It feels like that for a while, but when you get used to the idea it all fades
away and feels like you were silly before.

How can you feel committed to one another wholely and
completely, when you're sleeping with other people?

What do the two have to do with one another?  And I guess honestly, I'm not
"committed...wholely and completely" to my wife.  I have kids to care for, a
job, hobbies, dreams, etc.  I share my committment among them all.  I'll tell
you one thing though, coming to the realization that my love is not some
limited resource to be hoarded and carefully doled out only in return for
payment or reciprocation, has been a powerful revelation.  This I say: Love all
you want, we'll make more!

Chris