 Off-Topic / Debate / 1710
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 06:07:23 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
In my experience, there is no personified Devil, only the selfish and rebellious
nature in ourselves.  Therein lies evil and the potential for evil.  As for Hell,
I believe it is simply separation from God *by choice* (not God's choice) [1]
The greatest gift we have been given is life, and God wants us to have abundant
life.  Jesus came to teach us that.  So we thank God for everything in our lives,
whether it appears good or bad, because we cannot see the whole picture as God
does.  And we trust God that it will all work out.

A LOT of Christians don't believe Hell is just the absence of God
(eternal lonliness maybe, or do you mean annihilation?) - they
literally believe it is a real lake of fire into which all the bad
people will be thrown, to burn and be tortured for all eternity.

Another bit of Christian mythology that I have a hard time swallowing.

Assuming God exists, in some form comparable to the Christian God.
He's all-powerful, all-knowing, etc.  Setting aside the fact that
Christian mythology portrays him/Jesus over and over as a kind and
loving God, I just don't see how he could condemn any being to
everlasting torment and pain.  Eternal damnation.  And yeah, it's the
damned's "fault" - maybe even after they were dead they were given
another choice, and the screwed that up.

But COME ON, eternal damnation?  I'm supposed to believe that an
all-powerful all-wise being, a being capable of producing this whole
universe and everything in it, capable of sending his son to die for
our sins, is also capable of doing the equivalent of pulling the wings
off flies for all eternity?

Don't buy it, but I know a lot of people who do.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Sure, you could pay someone to run your LEGO auction.