 Off-Topic / Debate / 17079
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:57:51 GMT

I called you on it half in jest at your pettiness.  But I'd never be
so bold as to expect a retraction, or for you to use the "W" word;-)

What's the "W" word? "Dubya" ??  We don't use *that* word in our house if we
can help it...

"wrong":-)

Here's all the retraction you're going to get.

I'm sorry that you find my deliberate omission of the capital C offensive,
it was truly such an instinctive thing with me that I was at first puzzled
at what you were referring to, which is why I said "??". In retrospect I
should have realised.

Truly I wasn't offended, just giving you a hard time, although I did think you
were being intentional.

I'm also sorry that christianity IS so personally offensive to me, I wish it
weren't so, but it is, 2000 years of western history can't be all wrong.

Really? :-)

Are you a great person? Ya. Is David K? Ya too.

But that's despite your beliefs, in my view, not because of them. And
deliberately embracing irrationality is a personal flaw, not a virtue. A
flaw I am happy to overlook, as long as it doesn't color your actions
towards me... but since you're advocating commingling church and state,

Easy there.  I really think there are valid points to my argument-- I *do*
believe in separation of church and state.

Interesting story:  My 12 year old son plays soccer, and his coach is a
Christian.  During halftime of a particularily frustrating game, she started
talking to the boys about Jesus' persecutions and something about Abraham (I
forget).  Point is, it made *me* uncomfortable, and I found it innappropriate.
Though she isn't "the state" per se, I still found that behavior (as a
Christian), although well-intentioned, not right.

and
arguing that creation "science" ought to be given equal footing with real
science,

I have never argued thusly.  My pet topic is the existence of God.

and arguing against equal rights for those who happen to believe
things different than yourself or have different ( but equally peaceful)
morals, that's kind of tough to overlook at the moment.

Not quite sure where you are with this one.

Are you a great person? Ya. Is David K? Ya too.  But your religion is
clearly lacking in every dimension I care to examine. It's worse than most
of them, actually.

Well, all I can say is "don't shoot the messenger".  The Message is quite
profound....

I'm done.

I'm sorry this became such a big deal-- I really wasn't my intention.

-John