 Off-Topic / Debate / 17060
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:44:48 GMT

<snip>

But would it kill ya to put a Capital C on Christmas?

No it wouldn't, but it would be incorrect in my view, when referring to
things that happened around that time. We don't celebrate the christian
christmas.

I mean, being the (tm) truant for LUGNET(tm) and Guild of Bricksmiths(tm),
you, Larry, of all people, should realize the vexing incurred by those that
read something like that.

It's not a trademarked name.

It wasn't specifically the (tm) issue I was referring to.  As one of the
people who find it vexing when folks wrongly leave off the (tm) off things
that should have the (tm), you should appreciate the vexing caused in other
folks when the C in Christmas is not capitalized--I was going for an
analogy, not the specific.

You have misidentified me, sir. I do not find it vexing in the least when
people omit the (tm) on things.

I personally could care less about the entire matter, except for the slight
fact that I have trademarks that I have invested effort in developing and
which have a good reputation in the marketplace. The law requires that if I
want to protect my trademarks I have to periodically remind people that they
need to have (tm) on them. I prefer that they stay my (or our, in the case
of the Guild of Bricksmiths(tm)) property, and that they remain associated
with my (or our) endeavours and not that of others who would sully the brands.

So I remind people, because if I don't, the trademarks lapse. That is an
unacceptable alternative, although I'd prefer it if the law did not require
me to remind people. Reminding people is the vexing part. I have to do it in
the case of (tm), I have no choice. You and John have chosen to bug me about
this for your own reasons, you chose to do so.

It's only common courtesy to reciprocate on the (tm) with other trademarks,
it shows respect to the commercial endeavours of others. Plus it has the
side benefit that it cuts down on twits flaming me about it if I forget.

I am sorry but christmas is not a trademark, it is not in danger of being
owned by someone else, and further I have no reciprocal respect for it,
since christians show me such discourtesy, and so strongly disrespect me and
my beliefs as to make my life difficult. "As ye reap so shall ye sow", I
think the saying goes.

I'm sorry if my lack of respect for christmas and christianity vexes you,
but personally, I find little to respect in christianity. I do not have to
use the term as you designate, as it's not a proper noun the way I use it.
In fact there is much about christianity that is quite improper, using a
different sense of the word "proper", but I digress.

If you want to talk about the season following autumn, then it would be
winter.  If oyu wish to discuss that time of year (usually around December
25) and the holiday in which people sometimes exchange gifts and have a
decorated tree in their house, then it's Christmas time.

Disagree. It is not Christmas time unless you are celebrating christmas with
all the trappings. We don't.

Certainly if I had a menorah in my house and no hanukah bush, I would not be
celebrating capital C christmas would I? (note the omission of
capitalization on hanukah)

It's still
gramatically correct

Is this merely a grammar flame, then? Or something more substantive?

to put the capital C on it.

When you yourself have perfect grammar, you are welcome to assert that. Till
then I suggst that you do not cast the first stone, I think the saying
goes... or something like that anyway.

That's three strikes, thanks for playing. :-)

I think you fouled out waaay into the left field bleachers with attempted
swings on this one :)

Those would be YOUR strikes, you were at bat and you struck out. Nice try at
twisting things around though.

BTW, a foul that goes into the bleachers isn't an attempted swing, it's a
swing that actually connected. Just not successfully. I know that and I
don't even like the sport. If you're going to work baseball analogies, work
them correctly.