 Off-Topic / Debate / 17052
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:48:21 GMT

<snip>

But would it kill ya to put a Capital C on Christmas?

No it wouldn't, but it would be incorrect in my view, when referring to
things that happened around that time. We don't celebrate the christian
christmas.

I mean, being the (tm) truant for LUGNET(tm) and Guild of Bricksmiths(tm),
you, Larry, of all people, should realize the vexing incurred by those that
read something like that.

It's not a trademarked name.

It wasn't specifically the (tm) issue I was referring to.  As one of the
people who find it vexing when folks wrongly leave off the (tm) off things
that should have the (tm), you should appreciate the vexing caused in other
folks when the C in Christmas is not capitalized--I was going for an
analogy, not the specific.

Certain folks find xmas, xianity and christmas quite vexing *in the same
way* you find the absensce of (tm) on LUGNET(tm) and Guild of
Bricksmiths(tm), and TLC finds the improper spelling of LEGO (As in lego,
Lego, whatever), vexing.  The idea that 2 of the 3 instances are legally
wrong is not the point--the fact that all 3 are wrong is.

Christmas is capitalized in the same fashion as Monday, Memorial Day, Mr.,
Martin, Madagascar, and Montana.--it is gramatically correct.  You don't
have to be an 'xian' to be gramatically correct, you just have to do it for
the sake of grammar.  Christ is a proper name (is not a last name to be
sure) .  Therefore Christ is capitalized.  Athiests can refute the divinity
all they want, but its still a proper name.

Further, even if you find some obscure reference in some 1954 reader that
says that Christmas doesn't have to be capitalized, you don't have to tweak
the nose of the Christians by, you know, not capitalizing it.  Sure, the
flip side is that the Christians don't have to get all huffy like when they
see it without the caps, and for them, as well as you, I say, 'Be the bigger
person'.

Unlike Father's Day(tm) which Hallmark(tm) invented. (just kidding about the
trademark on Father's Day, although Hallmark DOES invent holidays... all the
time... Sweetest Day is their invention)

Think of it like Monday.  I mean, monday is gramatically incorrect, as is
christmas or xmas or xians or whatever--don't even worry about doing it
right 'cause of the perceived trashing of Christianity.

It's not at all like Monday either.

In this usage it is more like "winter" which one doesn't capitalize either.
I used it as a generic term for a bunch of days around the end of the year.

If you want to talk about the season following autumn, then it would be
winter.  If oyu wish to discuss that time of year (usually around December
25) and the holiday in which people sometimes exchange gifts and have a
decorated tree in their house, then it's Christmas time.  It's still
gramatically correct to put the capital C on it.

That's three strikes, thanks for playing. :-)

I think you fouled out waaay into the left field bleachers with attempted
swings on this one :)

But now that you mention it I don't capitalize ANY religion as a general
rule. Take it as an insult if you like. It's not intended as one, but feel
free just the same.

I personally don't care.  I know my grammar is atrocious on the best of days
*1.  That said, I don't want to deliberately tweak anyones nose in the
process of my writings.  I personally believe that mankind and humankind are
exactly the same thing--feminists, however, find mankind insulting and based
on an institution of patriarchal history.  So I try to say humankind for I
don't want *my* meaning to get lost in a perceived slight against feminists.
It takes no additional effort to say humankind, and it takes no additional
effort to put the caps on C for Christmas ('xcept you have to hit the shift
key).  Not only are you then not disenfranchising people, but you have the
added bonus of being gramatically correct.

Dave
*1
All grammatical gaffs and spelling slips in all my postings are purposely
placed for the perfectionists to point out