 Off-Topic / Debate / 16997
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:49:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

I just hope that the members of other countries that may see Neal's
excretory texts realize that his is only one kind of minority view in the
U.S. and that there is no way that his madness speaks for us all in the U.S.

No, of course not.  Not for a country whose citizens voted George W. Bush into
office.

Maggie C.

What country would that be?

Bruce
(pointing out that the citizens of the U.S.A. rejected George Bush....)

And yet, he's the prez...

Don't ever say that the US *upholds* democracy above all else--a piece of
paper trumped the will of the people.

And, from my vague recollections of poli-sci 101, the US isn't even a
democracy, in its purest form--not even close.  It combines Monarchy (the
Prez), Aristocracy (the Senate), and a watered down form of Democracy (the
House of Reps)  I heard it called up here a voted Tyranny for 5 years (4
years for our US neighbours) in which the people voted in can really do
whatever they want for 4-5 years, until we kick them out of office the next
time.  Until that time, however, unless there are extraordinary factors,
they're there in power, no matter what, a la Dubya.

I remember a chart in poli-sci

                       Benevolent              Malevolent
1 ruler                Monarchy                Dictatorship
Few Elite Rulers       Aristocracy             Oligarchy
Rule of all People     Democracy               Democracy

(Have no idea what that looks like with different fonts, but oh well, looks
good with courier)

THe part that I found interesting is that Democracy is in both columns, as
in the 'Rule of the People' can be both good and/or bad.

An old saying - a person is intelligent, people are stupid (look no farther
than mob mentality)

Anyway, enuf of my dusty memories about Political Science...

Dave