 Off-Topic / Debate / 16984
Re: The constitution has been abrogated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:33:23 GMT

I've argued about 16 before...

Right.  But don't forget that 16 is essentially null and void -- it's a
pretense of a new kind of tax when there are only two kinds of taxes: direct
and indirect. See:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=14865

Keep in mind that I am of the political belief that a tax upon wages is a
direct tax upon the individual and not some kind of wierdo indirect or
excise tax.  That a tax on wages is anything but a direct tax is "newspeak."

Worse it's a lesson that we apparently did not learn from since we are
still fighting the silly and inane "war against drugs".

Yup.  So much for eternal vigilance.

It is also important to note that the very process of what is heard before
the Supreme Court is itself one that admits of some distortion. I suspect
that the Supremes have shied away from some controversies merely by refusing
to hear cases. If they didn't hear it, that doesn't mean it's not
unconstitutional.

The aforementioned Ashwander Doctrine, of course.  And of course the same
doctrine explains that the court's holdings are generally of a very specific
nature -- answering as little as possible beyond what is necessary to decide
the case.  The rest is obiter dictum -- the fun crap you get to write when
you are a justice of the supreme court.

No, our constitution is not what it was once. Nor is our government.

No argument.

I'll make one more point in light of today's "W" farce.  Corporations are
dangerously powerful.  They supposedly operate for the public good, and
indeed much trust is placed in their ability to create jobs and in various
ways serve the public interest.  To better serve those public interest ends,
corporations are often granted perks by states and localities where they
set-up operations. Corporations have limited liability for debt and can
declare bankruptcy often with impunity.  But, what's good for big business
is good for you, right?

Maybe not.

Rather than serving the public interest we see that corporations use their
favored status to consolidate power and money until they can often move
labor intensive operations to another cheaper country to do business in.
The books are not only not open, the books are cooked -- and worse, the
reports often come in late while investors and employees rely on faulty
information to make their life making/breaking decisions.  These same
corporations collect private data (largely unregulated) on individuals in
order to better target and create consumer bases.  These same corporations
lobby congress in a manner that matters more to your legislators than do
your votes. Golden parachutes guarantee that short stays in Club Fed are
worth every million.

The sleepers must awaken...

-- Hop-Frog