 Off-Topic / Debate / 16983
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:15:26 GMT

Well, it would seem to me that a professed Xtian would have to believe, >>>at
least nominally, in the divinity of Christ as the Son o' God.  Lots of
people accept that Jesus the man existed.  I do--I mean, why not?  Muslims
generally accept it, and so do Jews, if I recall correctly.  But was he
divine?  That's another matter.  Belief in the divinity of Jesus would
appear central, but if I'm wrong, please correct me.

You are wrong.  Maybe more on that later.

Please do clarify.

The nature of Jesus: God or man?  Man or God?  The early church struggled with
this question and came up with a seemingly impossible conclusion: fully man AND
fully God.  The meaning or understanding of this is impossible and has led to
many different ideas on the perception of Jesus' nature.  And then throw the
Holy Spirit into the fray, and you get a triune God, a concept for some to be
heresy as polytheistic.  Theology, for the most part, bores me and I don't
dwell on it too much.  I try not to get too bogged down in belief systems-- too
often they cause more harm than good.

To me, a Christian is one who acknowledges that Jesus is the Messiah of the
Jews from the God of the Jews and is Lord of their life.  This means that that
person dedicates their life to living in accordance with Jesus' teachings, and
proclaims the Good News which Jesus taught.

The nature of the Messiah is at least in part divine by the fact of His
intimate knowledge of the divine (of which we can know nothing-- must be
revealed).  Other than that, who knows?

Parenthetically, I seem to remember someone fairly highly placed in the
history of the faith (Paul, perhaps?) acknowledging that if the >>>Resurrection
were false, then Xtianity on the whole would collapse.  Ring a bell for
anyone?

At this point it wouldn't matter.  The resurrection is a faith-based event.

I think it should matter!  You're saying that if the Resurrection were
somehow proven false, you'd still believe it based on faith.

Isn't that the very definition of faith?  Besides, it is a moot argument; there
is no way to either prove or disprove the resurrection.  I suspect you'd
respond the same way WRT the existence of God.

Even if you
don't care to articulate it that way, it would be entirely consistent with
your belief in Creationism, which likewise sticks to its dogmatic guns
despite any and all evidence to the contrary.

Come on, Dave.  The evidence *for* evolution is so circumspect yet you believe
it because it is the *only* explanation you can scientifically come up with!
And since the existence of a God is *by definition* unacceptable because of its
inability to pass the scientic method, you cling to that theory like stink on
poop.

For instance, which is more plausible logically-- honey bees learning somehow
to build a hive through natural selection, or that that innate ability was
somehow given to them?  You may find a belief in God unscientific, but you
sacrifice logic in the process (I am not arguing that belief in God is logical,
but that believing in evolution is illogical).  A disbelief in God forces one
to make faith leaps WRT to science that are as least as big as a believer in
God.

*I* am the one who ironically brought the atheists into the fray.  *He* is a
hypocritical troll.

Actually, "they" were brought into the fray in
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=16684.
Anyway, your use certainly didn't appear ironic,

I said it was "interesting" that he omitted that group.  Substitute the word
"ironic" and you have my same meaning.

and it was directly in
step with your previously-established habit of referring to any group you
dislike as explicitly and completely represented by any member of that
group.  Witness your generically disparaging references to "lefties"

"I thought lefties were supposed to be the tolerant ones..."
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=16897

There is nothing inherently disparaging in that quotation.  There *is*
something inherently disparaging in the sentence to which I was addressing!

You have exemplified the double standard to which I refer.

to "athiests"
"Interesting that you would omit the biggest butchers of all-time..."
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=16942

Ah, okay, I see now where all of the hostility regarding atheists is coming.
It was never my intention to characterize *all* atheists as such-- when I wrote
that I had very specific individuals in mind (Stalin, Hilter[1], Pot at the
top).  This was an error on my part to which I apologize.  Again, I never
really wanted to even talk about atheists as a group in that way or any other
way.  What I should have written was:

"Interesting that you omitted a group from which some of the biggest butchers
of all-time came-- atheists."

to "liberals"
"Typical Liberal-- hypocrisy and double standards"
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=16158

Your letting RM slide on his inflammatory comments shows me that you apply a
double standard to my positions.

Not to mention a tendency to dismiss as inherently perverted or wrong
anything you happen to find personally distasteful:
"That person is by definition a pervert; they have perverted the act of sex.
Plain and simple.  In the same way, some people are bad people; some people are
evil, and that is regardless of what you or I think of them."
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=15293

Are you kidding me?  I stated that sex with a chicken is perverted-- are you
calling me on that?  Dave, the very definition of perverted is to deviate from
what is considered normal or correct.  Are you somehow implying that sex with
chickens is normal or correct?  I must be missing something here.

It is repeatedly clear that you have appointed yourself as some sort of
moral guardian entitled and able to pass judgment on all you survey, and
what is ultimately comical (and tragic) about it is that you fail to see it,
and you fail to realize that your proud and wanton bigotry (religious and
otherwise) is exactly the issue in this entire debate.

Well, if this debate is going to turn to Morality vs moral relativism, then
bring it on, although I think it raged elsewhere in my absence once upon a time.

Of course it's objectionable to homogenize a body of different
people; that's the whole point!  Richard's post also pointed out the >>>problem
of praying in glass churches:  if one sees no problem in castingating a
group on the basis of a tiny minority of its members, then one must be
willing to condemn one's own group on the basis of a few of it's own >>>members.

Thank you for that commentary (and bailout) of RM's post.  That wasn't what
*he* said.  But anyway, I think I put my position to rest above.

There is some serious disconnect here.  I have been condemning a part of a
group, not the whole of a group (Islam).

I haven't mentioned much of the terrorist:Islam issue; my discussion has
primarily been about your unavoidable tendency to segregate those groups you
do not like.  I suppose in your world, "atheists(1)" would have to ride in
the back of the bus and drink from separate fountains.

They also test the food for poison, but what's your point? :-)

But, frankly, that is what I have been *trying* to talk about (extremist Muslim
terror).

But in return I am getting my *whole*
group (Christianity) condemned for the actions of a few.

Everything regarding atheists is superfluous-- it is not even a part of the
discussion.  I don't know why it's even a focus.

The discussion, if you'll remember, began about the State establishment of
religion by the canonization of "under God" in The Pledge of Allegiance.
*THAT* is why atheists are part of the discussion.  Further, since this has
also become a discussion of your religious bigotry, I think its appropriate
that Muslims, athiests, Jews, Zoroastrians, Hindus, et al continue to be
represented here.

Fine, Dave.  If you want to go back to the pledge, I left questions on the
table to which you never responded to my satisfaction.  Namely, how envoking
the generic term "God" *establishes* religion.  At best, your twisted
explanation is not the intent the FFs had in mind.  But if the mere mention of
God *does* establish religion, why refer to God 4 times in the DoI if you were
one who believed in the separation of church and state as we all agree
Jefferson did? Or maybe we just agreed to disagree?

The point, simply put, is to demonstrate that it's shockingly bigoted to
accuse athiests in general of greater violence or bloodshed than their
spiritually enlightened peers.

I agree and it wasn't my intention.

This was never my intention.  I'm not talking about atheists.  I only
tossed them into the fray because of RM's blanket group characterizations.

They were in the fray from the first post in this thread and have been
here throughout it. I have no doubt whatsoever that you'd prefer atheists to
go away, but tough.

Even if we lump Pol Pot and Hitler(1) and
Stalin among "athiests," the number of dead at athiests' hands is still tiny
compared to those killed by "theists(2)," since I flatly don't believe that
every murder commited at those dictators' commands were carried out by
athiests, even if they were carried out in the name of The State.  The
theists who committed those murders may have done so under duress, but they
are then hardly innocent of the killings.

Even if it were possible to show ballpark body counts (which is impossible,
and therefore moot), and besides the fact that the number of deists through
history far outnumbered the atheists which skews statistics horribly, and
besides the fact that I couldn't care less about the issue, I'm not really
sure what point it would make.

You mean like the deists who founded this country?

Sorry, meant "theists".

  The point it would
make is that, for all your condemnation of atheists as amoral monsters
guilty of unparalleled bloodshed, the simple truth is that you're wrong.
*THAT'S" the point.
Anyway, it's not quite moot.  Even if we can't get an expressly detailed
list of who killed whom, we can, based on a simple examination of who's been
in charge throughout history (and it generally hasn't been atheists), we get
a sense of who've been the most accomplished killers.

Great.  So what conclusion would you make of it?

But I think that you are wrong WRT your facetious religion statement. Many
of mankind's greatest literary (or whichever category you choose)
achievements were done in the name of religion.

Speaking as a liberal arts major with a vested interest in this particular
topic, I say "so what?"

Merely to point out that some of man's noblest endeavors *were* based on
religion.  What was the point of your statement (which I've noticed you've
snipped)?

Well, no reason to quote myself.  My point was that, regardless of the
number of lovely paintings or sculptures or buildings, religion (ie, theism)
can't make any real claim of moral superiority over atheism.  If you hadn't
carefully snipped my post, you'd have to articulate the moral calculus by
which you excuse bloodshed if it's committed by the same group that makes
nifty art.

Because I have no intention of excusing bloodshed from any source.

    Dave!

(1) How many times were you people going to let me misspell "atheist" before
you called me on it?!?

hehe I thought you thought that *I* was misspelling it:-)

[1] the acceptable dodge for references to he-who-must-not-be-named;-)

-John