 Off-Topic / Debate / 15293
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 04:03:10 GMT

Forgive me for jumping in late here, but I haven't been hanging around
.debate much the past few days...

But I'm saying that it might not _be_ filth in my eye...or our kids'.

But you agree that at some point it *could* be.

And at some point it *could* be the finest piece of art ever crafted by
humankind; *that* is the point at which we should decide.  To enforce a
summary prohibition before the fact is dangerously myopic and at best
speculative.

Well, true significance of a work of art is often only realized until after an
artist's death.  My point is that if Jason is linking to *all* submissions to
his site; it won't take long for some idiot to submit something that even Jason
will find offensive.  And at that point I predict he *will* exercise editorial
restraint.  Every decent human being has their breaking point (I say "decent"
because I know that there are some folks out there who would say that *nothing*
is indecent, and I would call them "anti-social").

Question:  Why is someone who wants to create some guidelines for social
behavior "myopic" and "bigotted", and yet someone who is essentially an
anarchist labeled "enlightened" or "open-minded"?  Wouldn't a truly open-minded
person be a hypocrite to speak out against such a myopic and bigotted person?
Talk about being hoisted by your own petard...

I am not put off by 99% of pornographic content, but at the same time I am
insufficiently familiar with the industry to give you citations of quality
porn.  And even if I did, you would -- I think, just say that you thought it
was bad.

hehe I know nothing about the porn industry, except that I hear it's huge, and
that it's largely due to the net.  Perhaps I'm speaking from ignorance, but it
seems to me that porn exists for one reason, and it isn't "artistic" expression.

Well, Snickers bars exist for one reason--because people want them.  The
same is true of porn and Beanie Babies and Christian bookstores.  None of
these fine institutions would continue to exist in the absence of adequate
public demand.

But does merely the demand for them justify their existence?  Again, I offer
child pornography as an example.

Further, while it is true that the porn industry is huge because of the
net, it can also be argued that the net is huge because of the porn
industry.  Just do a websearch for any of a dozen evocative porn buzzwords,
and you'll wind up with millions of hits.  For example, a search on
Altavista for the word "porn" returned 5,610,985 results, while a search for
the word "Christ" returned a mere 3,495,329 results.
As a parallel, the VCR industry has also been recognized to grown
hand-in-hand (insert favorite metaphor here) with the home-video porn
industry; once people could view porn without going to a dirty, smoky
theater, the market was much more free to expand to fit public demand.

Again, does demand justify its existence?

Actually, I just thought of _Crash_. It borders on pornography and I consider
it a good (if a bit twisted) movie.  _Eyes Wide Shut_ bordered on being porn
and bordered on being good.

Missed them both.

But why?  If one would presume to judge what is and what is not filth,
then one should have a reasonable (if academic) familiarity with it. And
this isn't a case of "I don't have to fall in the mud to know it makes you
dirty."  At stake here is the very definition of "mud" (to continue the
metaphor), and if a person makes no effort to look beyond his preconceptions
and prejudices, then his opinion must be acknowledged to be deliberately
limited.

Assuming of course that I haven't gotten muddy before, which, of course, I have.
That doesn't mean I have to keep on getting muddy.  I can recall the experience
instead of having to continually re-experience it.  It's called learning.

But that also might assume that "mud" can *ever* be objectively defined, which
it can't.  So again, an open-minded person would be slow to condemn my
particular definition of it.

It is caving in to political correctness.  Since there isn't anything
inapropriate (that I saw) for kids on the site, there is no need for an adult
check system.  To install one because a few users were raving would be silly
and weak.  People who are allowed to self regulate, can.

Unless the webmaster saw merit in the raving?  Then it would become sage
advice?  :-)

Smiley-face or no, if the webmaster bears primary responsibility for the
site's content, then it is obviously the webmaster's choice to cave or not
to cave.

I am surprised by your perjorative use of the term "cave".  To exercise some
editorial control is hardly "caving".

Yeah, sex is good, until someone comes along and perverts it. And it seems
that someone is always coming along...

and that someone is always declaring that somebody else's sexuality is
perverse.

And I refuse to acknowledge your presupposition of moral subjectivity.  There *
is* moral and immoral behavior.  Some sex acts are *by definition* "perverted".
Everything is *not* relative.  If one wants to have sex with a chicken, I'm
sorry, I will not stand by and say, "That's okay; whatever turns your crank".
That person is by definition a pervert; they have perverted the act of sex.
Plain and simple.  In the same way, some people are bad people; some people are
evil, and that is regardless of what you or I think of them.

Getting back to the original subject of Brickfilms-- all I am saying to Jason is
that, if he wants to create a site that will some day be among the elite for
AFOLs and KABOBs (LUGNET, Brickbay, Brickshelf), he is going to have to be *
intentional* about the content of the site; TLC's reaction to it is already
evidence of that.  And I agree with TLC; and I offer the label of hypocrite of
any "open-minded" person who finds fault with their policy-- it is TLC's
perogative.  To rail against it only betrays the hypocrisy of the so-called
enlightened people who would not agree with it.

And, of course, if I state an opinion that is against *their* beliefs, I am
labeled "narrow-minded" and "bigotted".

-John

    Dave!