 Off-Topic / Debate / 15295
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:38:15 GMT

Question:  Why is someone who wants to create some guidelines for social
behavior "myopic" and "bigotted", and yet someone who is essentially an
anarchist labeled "enlightened" or "open-minded"?  Wouldn't a truly open-
minded person be a hypocrite to speak out against such a myopic and bigotted
person? Talk about being hoisted by your own petard...

Okay, I am not sure who the anarchist is, but you seem to have a strange
view concerning the defense of freedom of speech and expression.  Defending
freedom of speech generally means defending the right of anyone to express
whatever whacked-out, crazy thing they may fancy to express via whatever
media they have chosen -- agreement with those ideas has NOTHING to do with
it.  This allows everyone the same rights in the traffic of ideas -- and
ideas are the lifeblood of a free society.  You, John, are essentially
trying to pick and choose from among ideas -- some being deemed by you as
worthy and others as unworthy (and this based I think largely on religiously
driven and personally held morals on your part).  Now you can do whatever
you wish in the privacy of your home -- I respect that.  But if you try to
impose your own idiosyncratic views over and above the free traffic of ideas
in the world at large -- brother, you have a fight on your hands and I will
be one of those that will fight you.  I believe censorship is intrinsically
unamerican. And sorry, but only a moron would suggest that it is
hypocritical to openly criticize pro-censorship views -- how else is one to
defend the very thing that is at stake in these arguments?  Of course, I
will try to shout down your views -- you are trying to limit freedom of speech!

My dictionary definitions of the words "myopic" and "bigot" (you connect the
dots):
myopic -- Lack of discernment or long-range perspective in thinking or planning
bigot -- One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or
politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Honey, if the shoe fits, wear it all the way home...

And I refuse to acknowledge your presupposition of moral subjectivity.  There
*is* moral and immoral behavior.  Some sex acts are *by definition*
"perverted". Everything is *not* relative.  If one wants to have sex with a
chicken, I'm sorry, I will not stand by and say, "That's okay; whatever turns
your crank". That person is by definition a pervert; they have perverted the
act of sex. Plain and simple.  In the same way, some people are bad people;
some people are evil, and that is regardless of what you or I think of them.

You astonish me with your views.  Morality is very much in the eye of the
beholder unless we are talking about common law crimes -- and then I will
simply refer you to the laws we have agreed upon in this society and
sidestep this messy "morality" issue. BTW, there are no sex acts that are by
definition perverted -- only silly people like yourself who want a view of
the goings-on in my bedroom.  I'll give you the ckicken thing because
animals cannot consent -- otherwise, and in the name of myself and other
consenting adults I'll give you the finger.

Is it the case that you have no idea that your views may simply contradict
those held by others? Isn't the current thread evidence enough for you that
others DO, IN FACT hold opposing views? Do you have no interest in this
little project we call the democratic republic of the United States of America?

If you want some kind of oligarchical control of how OTHER people think and
feel about things, perhaps you should move to a country whose political
system is more in line with your views...?

-- Hop-Frog