 Off-Topic / Debate / 16990
Re: The constitution has been abrogated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:58:26 GMT

No, our constitution is not what it was once. Nor is our government.

No argument.

I'll make one more point in light of today's "W" farce.  Corporations are
dangerously powerful.  They supposedly operate for the public good, and
indeed much trust is placed in their ability to create jobs and in various
ways serve the public interest.  To better serve those public interest ends,
corporations are often granted perks by states and localities where they
set-up operations. Corporations have limited liability for debt and can
declare bankruptcy often with impunity.

Well in the past I have argued against that. My thinking in this area is not
all that well formed but I tend to favor strict liability, and in general, a
weakening of what corporations (as opposed to individuals) can legally do
and what powers they have. One facet of that is (as I've argued before) no
ability to duck personal responsibility for decisions, with the CEOs of
corporations potentially being tossed in jail on a regular basis when their
corporation does things like pollute or act negligently.

(I'd extend this notion of liability to government officials as well, by the
way)