 Off-Topic / Debate / 16956
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:19:01 GMT

<snip>

2) What if there's no horse to back?
    Then you'll have wasted a sizable portion of your 60 years, all
    for naught.  Granted, if you're not doing anything but rotting
    in the ground, you won't be in a position to do much worrying,
    but it doesn't seem as though you'd have spent your only 60 in the
    best way possible.

    Dave!

If I backed the wrong horse and/or he doesn't exist (as proven in HHGTTG
btw) then I have lived my life to the best of my ability for no other reason
than it was the right thing to do.

The best way possible according to whom?  To you?  To my father?  To someone
on the other side of the world?  How 'bout if I live my life the best way I
possibly according to me.  In order to do that, though, what I need is for
others to not force what they think the best way is on me.

As for taking a hammer to the kids head--let me try it this way...

A fea years back this holistic healing, this 'herbal medicine' was a
lark--only for the fringe elements of society that believed in it.  Some of
these folks believed in this holistic healing stuff so much that they would
forego medical treatment and instead opted for natural healing.

Now some real physicians are prescribing some of this herbal remedy to cure
what ails ya, in conjunction with medical treatment if needed.

The point is it is a point of arrogance to say that we have the only way of
doing stuff--that we're right and they that don't believe are somehow wrong
fringe zealous elements in society.  Well, they're not.  Some are fanatical
to be sure, and you can tell that when they cause harm to themselves as well
as others.  Me opting not to undergo chemotherapy if I have cancer is not
fanatical or wrong. (a point-I pray that I never face that decision
personally)  It's a life choice and me making that choice is harming no
other--no one else is harmed by me making that choice.

'But wait', those out there partaking in this discussion are saying, 'The
child doesn't make the choice, the parent does.'

And rightly so--the parent is the *legal* guardian.  Unless we can say that
the parent is wrong, incompotent, fanatical, whatever, and take the kids
away for their own safety, then we, as the outsiders have no right at all to
step in and refute/dispute their guardianship.

No we can't say the parent is wrong if they won't let their kid have an
operation.  We can all say the sky is blue, for it is.   If a parent is
teaching the kids that the sky is green, we can dispute that and teach the
kid properly.  If a parent believes that putting their childs hand on a hot
burner is for the childs own good, then we can counter with, 'no, you have
physically infliced harm on your child--that's abuse', and we can do
something about that.  However, we cannot say that a medical procedure will
not release the soul.  I don't believe it does, but my belief doesnt then
equal truth for everyone.

Anyway, this thread has to be the biggest thread of all time on Lugnet.

Dave