 Off-Topic / Debate / 16940
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:02:39 GMT

<snip>

The past two UK general elections have produced MPs who got to power with
virtually no funding. That is freedom.

In the UK we limit MP?s political advertising budgets to allow open access
to power.

You said it. You "limit" the budgets.  That's *not* freedom.

If you mean rich guys don't have the "freedom" (aka power) to buy a seat in
power - I agree. Protecting democracy is far more important.

The average winning candidate spends about $40,000.00.  Think
about how that would change your system of government. Bored businessmen
can?t buy themselves a seat in our parliament by spawning the TV with
vacuous advertisements.

So the liberal, career-politician incumbants can remain in power.  No thanks.

lol. Was Thatcher a liberal?

<snip>

Take a look at what your country is willing to do in the name of freedom.
The biggest risk to you and me is your country's foreign policy. Understand
that much John.

I can't because I don't know what you are talking about.  Is it because we

have
the nerve to support those whom they hate?  Is it because we give them

billions
of $$$ for their oil?  You will need to explain that one.

Think bigger John.

This is war, Scott.  And we all know what the first casualty of war is.

The innocent?

Sorry, I thought you did.  I was referring to civil rights.

It is
inevitable, especially in such a free society as ours.  But we (all) will
overcome this adversity and be better for it.

Time will tell. I?ll sleep a lot better once Bush Jr stops his recruiting
drive for what you call "Islamic fundamental whackos".

What term would *you* use for a homicidal, innocent-butchering group who
believes that they are acting on behalf of God?

There are many who fit that bill John, not just "Islamic fundamental whackos".
Wake up and smell the coffee.

But I'd really like to know
what this policy is that is so horrible that it induces people to murder
innocent women and children.

I think it is policy which results in the deaths innocent women and children.

If you keep kicking a dog, it will bite you no matter how big you are.

You just won't understand.  We did not bring this on ourselves.

I'm not saying it is as simple as that.

Why did all "this" happen in your view?

We are who we
are to the *whole* world-- I don't see anyone else reacting the way they are.
We are not kicking the dog.  If the dog thinks we are and he bites, he will be
put to sleep.

Now you are condoning genocide? Lovely!

Scott A

-John