 Off-Topic / Debate / 16900
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:35:34 GMT

This is a totally different topic, but showing your bias against creationism
by saying it isn't reality, is as bigoted as those Bible thumpers who say
that the world came into existence on October 4, 6006 BC and dumbly adhere
to that date.

  Then let's restate it this way:  Of the explanations currently on the
table for how we arrived where we are today, evolution provides more
complete, explanatory answers and makes more accurate, testable predictions
than Creationism, and understanding of evolution has led to greater advances
in biology and medicine than 100 centuries of pre-Darwin understanding.
Therefore, by the criteria employed by the Western world for at least
several centuries, evolution is a better rational, explanatory model of
reality than Creationism, and acceptance of evolution as an explanation
requires fewer (and smaller) leaps of faith than does belief in Creationism.
  Since evolution is a testable model that can be falsified, modified, and
corrected to correspond to newly-acquired information, I would say that it
is inherently less dogmatic than Creationism based on faith and on
irreproducible revelation.  "Bigoted" is an odd word to use there, since
Creationists are not necessarily bigoted, but if they adhere to The Word in
the face of all rational evidence, then I would say at the very least that
their criteria for judgment are incomplete.

We today don't know what happened back then for certain.  We can make
educated guesses but they would be guesses, or theories.  Theories are *not*
laws and, as such, should not be stated as such to be Reality.

  Well, that's not a helpful explanation of anything, is it?  We might as
well say "we don't know what Reality *really* is, so we might as well say
it's anything."  I expect you'll accuse me of "slippery slope" reasoning
once again, but I'm not doing that at all--my conclusion isn't even a single
step removed from your assertion; it's simply a restating of it.

     Dave!