 Off-Topic / Debate / 16891
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:04:54 GMT

<snip>

I go back and forth on what I think the base requirements for a school to use
vouchers should be.  I'm opposed to schools teaching e.g. strict creationism
instead of reality, but I'm not sure I'd even support legislating against it.

Well, this statement kinda shows where you stand on the matter.  Saying that
Creationism *isn't* reality endorses that something else is.  Unless you're
an avid reader of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and believe that the
universe was blown out of the nose of whomever and we're all just waiting
now for the large hanky to come wipe it up, the only other 'reality' for how
we came to be is 'Evolution'.

This is a totally different topic, but showing your bias against creationism
by saying it isn't reality, is as bigoted as those Bible thumpers who say
that the world came into existence on October 4, 6006 BC and dumbly adhere
to that date.

I myself do tend to err more on the side that God started the ball rolling,
but I wouldn't say Creationism *is* the de-facto reality anymore than I
would say that our reality rests on the idea we evolved from amino acids.

We today don't know what happened back then for certain.  We can make
educated guesses but they would be guesses, or theories.  Theories are *not*
laws and, as such, should not be stated as such to be Reality.

I can't figure out where the balance needs to be between protecting kids from
their parents and protecting parents from community do-gooders.

What rights do kids have to protection from their parents?

Should a parent be able to send their kids to schools that obviously teach
falsehood?

Now this is where the rubber hits the road--If someone says that I'm
teaching a falsehood 'cause I want my 5 year old to believe in Santa, and as
such I should have my kids taken away, I would probably have a problem with
that.  Something more insiduous though, is what if I'm teaching my kids
about God, and how Jesus died for us, and the athiests say 'oh that's false!
you can't teach your kids that, either in the home or in school!.

Should a parent be able to prevent their kids from learning to read?

Should a parent be able to spank their child...or allow the school?

Should a parent be able to withold food until a child performs a task?

Should a parent be able to surgically alter their kids for aesthetic purposes?

There are those religions that believe that no blade shall pierce the skin,
so surgery's out--you're going straight to the red man if you have surgery
performed.  Do you take the kid away from the parent when the kid needs an
operation when its against the parent's fundamental religious beliefs?

I'm surprised by how these questions are typically answered.  But even though I
think the answer to all of them is "no," I'm kind of dissatisfied with
restricting those behaviors.

As far as whether you can sent your kid to a Lutherine (or Catholic or
Hindu...) school with vouchers, I'm all for it.  Schooling is broken and we
need more innovation encouragement taking place.

Chris

And if you send your kid ot a Catholic and/or any other religous school,
should institutional prayer be allowed?  or are we back to the separation of
church and state?  That's how most of this discussion started, so I thought
I'd bring it back...  ;)

Dave