 Off-Topic / Debate / 16842
  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) No, welcome! I'd acknowledge the United Kingdom as the greatest nation the world (...) That's funny. For those reasons the US gets criticized bitterly... (...) Yeah, and life in Britian became so intolerable for some that they *left* it to (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) I know this is bad form, but I have to apologize for this statement-- I admit I was shooting from the hip there. But here is an evaluation of Norway allegedly being the best place on earth to live (and it's by a Norwegian, no less): (URL) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) Foundation. The fact that he's right is irrelevant. (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) It may be because of immigration regulations. (...) That sounds quite a bit simplified. The majority of immigrants come from neighboring countries. There have been a fair number of immigrants from Sweden lately, and they generally move over (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) Thank you! :-) (...) I used the expression "differnt context" for some reason. And I did not criticize the USA for any sort of Imperialist attitude, did I? (...) Innacurate: the Britons who originally left found life in the Colonies better; (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) "Largest" != greatest. But I think an imperialist attitude is extremely evident in American destinarianism (we're the greatest, therefore everyone else should take our lead). That's going to take us headlong into a bitter squabble with the PRC (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) I'd think that effective occupation is really the deal. For us to have claimed the moon in 69 would have lead to strife because our claim would not have been honored. We couldn't deploy enough force to the moon to keep others off, so what (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) Their lifestyle was sustainable - your one is not. Right now the world is paying the price the "material culture" you (collectively) enjoy/conform to. The ugly inefficiency of your subsidised steel "industry" is an example of this. The EU is (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) because (...) Native Americans hunted some things to extinction in some places. Sustainability in the big picture can only be measured over long time periods which includes the ability to adapt. But by and large, I agree. OTOH, I personally (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)