 Off-Topic / Debate / 16888
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:22:47 GMT

But why didn't they?  I'm thinking that at least to some extent, it is • because
they did not fill the land with people, forcing a more material culture.  And
the reason they did not fill the land is because they were exploiting basic
food resources with haphazard efficiency.

Their lifestyle was sustainable - your one is not.

Native Americans hunted some things to extinction in some places.
Sustainability in the big picture can only be measured over long time periods
which includes the ability to adapt.  But by and large, I agree.  OTOH, I
personally live a more indefinately sustainable life than many of my
contemporaries (I garden for food, my vegetarian diet requires fewer resources,
part of our home heating comes from our woodlot, and we don't buy new cars
every two years, etc.).

Right now the world is
paying the price the "material culture" you (collectively) enjoy/conform to.

Yup.  And they're willing accomplices to some extent, right?

The ugly inefficiency of your subsidised steel "industry" is an example of
this.

Agreed!

The EU is not much better, but we are trying to improve things.

Oh, so are we.  Just not in the same way.

Chris