 Off-Topic / Debate / 16838
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 01:36:45 GMT

But show me I'm wrong.  I know this is coming off as a lot of flag-waving and
Patriotic rhetoric, but try to see beyond that and really take a look at what
this country has done in 200ish short years.  It's downright remarkable.  And
then try and *explain* the US's success.  And try not to conclude with "dumb
luck":-)

   Really, read Stephanson.  A large part of it *was* dumb luck, combined
   with lasseiz-faire attitudes (more out of a realization that the center
   could not control the edges than anything else) and a cultural touchpoint
   with the world's preeminent naval and financial power (the UK) without
   whose acquiescence all our declarations before the 1890s meant exactly
   nothing (e.g., the Monroe Doctrine).

   The "dumb luck" is the fate of the native population, and the fact that
   they lived in a preindustrial society and therefore didn't exploit the
   mineral resources that states like China have.  In a sense, it's like
   the bankers all died and left the vaults open.  We've parleyed our good
   fortune into a destinarian rhetoric--God smiles upon us, God gave us
   this, therefore we are blessed by God and know best for the world--
   but it's coming back and biting us in the rear because of the bad things
   we *do* support and allow to continue that keep 75% of the world's people
   in a state of perpetual poverty (in all senses of the word), providing
   us with the labor that our own country couldn't afford to support at
   US-mandated prices.

   So yeah, it's not just dumb luck, but the dumb luck was a necessary
   prerequisite.  I have titles if you want to see them, but it's pretty
   incontravertible that Europe and the United States got their wealth
   through dumb biological luck and desperate greed.  We're only in this
   century coming to terms with the ultimate effects of the second
   component (though the United States still hasn't dealt with it--
   our arrogance is still unchecked among the general populace).

   I think the US is clearly the best nation on the globe today to live
   in, but that's only if you live within it *and* speak English.  We've
   still got a long way to go before we actually live up to the high
   ideals we've set out for ourselves the last 226 years, and that
   hypocrisy is one of the biggest dead skunks the world lays at our
   feet.

   best

   LFB