 Off-Topic / Debate / 16823
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:22:38 GMT

Interesting that the same Amendment that you cite condemning his "endorsment"
of religion protects his right to do so.  But I think you are applying it
incorrectly in this case.  The First Amendment prohibits *congress* from
establishing religion (ie through law).  Since the excutive branch is not
empowered to create law, it by definition couldn't "establish" religion.

Hmm.  Good point.  Still, it's risky for the leader of the nation to take
a stance on religion when there's a very real chance of being exclusionary
on that basis.

I'm not sure a President of the United States *has* a private life while he is
in office-- just ask Willy Clinton;-)

   See the following.  I rather found it interesting:

   http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5930/view/print

Oh, he had a private life--the problem is that everyone knew about it!

Yes, I think at this point it becomes opinion, and the highest opinion in the
land gets to decide.

(Well, that's MINE, of course...)

   That's not democracy, if one opinion is higher than all others.
   It may be reality, but it's anathema to the whole idea of the USA.

   I'll type more, but my computer keeps cutting out.  Gotta send
   this before it pops again!

   LFB