 Off-Topic / Debate / 16822
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:10:10 GMT

Interesting that the same Amendment that you cite condemning his "endorsment"
of religion protects his right to do so.  But I think you are applying it
incorrectly in this case.  The First Amendment prohibits *congress* from
establishing religion (ie through law).  Since the excutive branch is not
empowered to create law, it by definition couldn't "establish" religion.

  Hmm.  Good point.  Still, it's risky for the leader of the nation to take
a stance on religion when there's a very real chance of being exclusionary
on that basis.

I'm not sure a President of the United States *has* a private life while he is
in office-- just ask Willy Clinton;-)

  Oh, he had a private life--the problem is that everyone knew about it!

Yes, I think at this point it becomes opinion, and the highest opinion in the
land gets to decide.

(Well, that's MINE, of course...)

I still think Jefferson's mentioning of a Creator in the DoI is a salient
argument that such language *doesn't* constitute establishment.

  My view regarding the DOI remains that it is a statement of secession from
England but isn't any kind of document of internal, national law for the US,
and certainly does nothing to establish policy beyond national sovereignty.
The fact The Constitution refers to it doesn't seem like a real endorsement,
so I don't see that the DOI could be any kind of State establishment of
religion, even if it attempted to be so.  For that reason I just don't know
that it's a relevant document when discussing the literal or figurative
meaning of the language.

Personally, I think that children *need* some sort of assurances of a God in
those type of situations.  Atheism is a pretty brave and mature attitude to
hold and I would say above kids' intellects (as if theism and atheism weren't
far beyond our own;-)  Teach them about a God when they are young; let them
eschew those beliefs when they are old enough to think for themselves if they
wish (that's just my feelings about the subject-- please spare the tar and
feathering)

  Heh.  That sounds rather like a justification for telling kids about Santa
Claus or the Easter Bunny!  8^)

I still don't have an adequate reason why an atheist should act "good"...

  Umberto Eco gives a *FANTASTIC* discussion in the last essay of the book
"Belief or Non-Belief," but I don't want to butcher his articulation of it
by trying to quote from memory.  Another good piece is by Alan Dershowitz
and can be found here:
http://www.beliefnet.com/frameset.asp?pageLoc=/story/92/story_9263_1.html&boardID=27945
(sorry if the link got wrapped).  Dershowitz is kind of tough on martyrs in
his essay, but his point is valid, and I've often mused upon the same point.

     Dave!