 Off-Topic / Debate / 16821
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:42:05 GMT

Back into the fray (from a much needed absence 'cause I had to re-evaluate
the way I come across in my posts...)

/America rant on

The next time anyone tells me the USofA is the 'free-est' nation on the
planet, I'm going to point to this thread (and other places) and say,
'They're slaves to a piece of paper written 200+ years ago.'

lol, and it is *because* of this self-imposed slavery that we *remain* the
"free-est" and greatest nation on the planet.

The Constitution and the DoI are not Holy Writs, not divine, nor are they
anything other than a guideline written by people for the people of the time
for which they were written.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Wrong.  They are the cornerstone of our greatness.  Without them we would be
nothing.  They *are* sacred, or at least the ideas contained within them are.

/America rant off

Both documents are a good read.  Both are crafted by truly eloquent and
intelligent people, who tried to cover the bases.  But the people of the
time could not predict what was going to happen a week later, yet alone 200+
years.

But yet at the same time they tried to craft it in such a way as to make it
timeless.  And, for the most part, it was worked very well.  Our very greatness
as a nation this day is a testament to that fact.

Either way, you get my vote for "understatement of the year":-)

lol, I'd even go so far as to say that we wouldn't even be enjoying this little
discussion in cyberspace had not for those documents (Al Gore notwithstanding)

-John