 Off-Topic / Debate / 16797
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 06:33:18 GMT

Yet you see no problem in forcing God down everyone's throats, as long as they keep
their mouths shut and stop "crying":
"(unless one is an atheistic activist who goes about crying about being persecuted for
believing in nothing)."
(your words)

"I don't condone the persecution of any group.  For the most part, I am for
tolerance and respect.  As long as every group shows tolerance and respect, I
can live with that." (Your words)
...unless, of course they're atheists.  Then they're fair game for target practice.
(My take on all of your current statements to date as to your obvious distain/distaste
for non-believers).

"And so what if a person wants to become a citizen of this country
and is required to cite "under God".  Nobody is forcing them to become a
citizen. "  (Your words)
...of course, that's persecuting atheists, now, isn't it?

Bigot.

Take the words out.  Religious nutters like you can get upset all they want - you can
still THINK the words if you wish, and I have no problem with you THINKING them.  I
have a problem with you forcing others to SAY them.

John wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:
Sure, it's irrelevant to you because you have no problem cramming it down other's
throats.

Hardly.  What I meant was it's irrelevant to me because it is none of my
business *what* other people believe-- they are free to believe what they wish.

-John

John wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
I didn't author the oath, so get off my case.

you didn't but you seem to imply that if I don't believe in God, I
shouldn't bother applying for citzenship...?

All I am saying is that the phrase "so help me God" is a part of it.  Whether
one believes in God or not is irrelevant (to me at least).

-John

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/