 Off-Topic / Debate / 1676
Re: "Financial news" magazines (Was: Lego Hackers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:05:05 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Now if you want to slam Fortune, fine. It's infected with the
Time Warner reality distortion virus.

Also Forbes, also WSJ.

Neither of these are TW pubs. I rather like them as they don't do the
standard
Time Warner, "hey government intervention isn't so bad after all"
spinthink the way Fortune does.

Any magazine I've read claiming to report financial
news has proven to be little more than a self-promoting millionaire's club
popularity journal.

I read all three of these, even Fortune, and get a lot out of them.
Reading about why CEOs flame out or what Warren Buffet thinks, or what
trends in the digital economy will be, and so forth, has actually helped
me, believe it or not. But then I am rather more concerned with where
business is going to be in a few months than the average person.

I don't see popularity journal in the stuff I read, though.

If I wanted that, I'd read George or Playboy.  (1)

While I won't deny reading them (or looking at the pictures, as it
were), I haven't derived a whole lot of business value from them either.

What was so righteous about Malcom Forbes?  To me, he seemed to be something
of a schmoozing high-life millionaire brat.  Not something I attain to be,

Well I certainly think there's a lot to be said for being willing to
spend some of the money one has earned in a flamboyant way, and naming
his rag 'Capitalist Tool' was highly Righteous, in my book.

and certainly not something I would want to be remembered by.  What has he
done that benefitted, say, me or my family?

It's about two or three levels of indirection away, but I'd argue that
publishing magazines that help people be better businessmen is a strong
benefit to all of society, including you and your family. Remember where
increases in standards of living come from... those labor saving devices
wouldn't be saving any labor if there weren't banks to finance the
manufacturing plants to make them and competent managers to run them at
a profit and finance R&D on more of them.

But then I can admire Bill Gates and despise Microsoft at the same time
without feeling the least bit inconsistent.

lugnet.