 Off-Topic / Debate / 16710
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:59:57 GMT

<snip>

  [Ari Fleischer said] I think this decision will not sit well with the
  American people. Certainly, it does not sit well with the president
  of the United States."

Frankly I don't care how W feels about it, and I actually take offense at
Fleischer's smugness in presuming to speak for "the American people"  For
which "American people" does Fleischer think he speaks?  The majority?  That
would be hysterical, since the majority wasn't allowed to speak for itself
in November 2000.  A separate issue?  Perhaps.  But the Bush Administration
can't cling to the letter of the Constitution when convenient and then
discard it at its whim.

even better quotes from Mr Bush:

  Speaking Thursday at the G-8 summit in Canada,
  Bush said the ruling was "out of step with the
  history and traditions of America," and said it
  highlighted the need for "common sense judges
  that understand that our rights are derived
  from God."

  (-- http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/27/pledge.allegiance/index.html)

funny - if our rights are derived from god, I wonder why, say, the saudies
don't get the same rights?  or the Christians living in Lebanon, if people
insist that it's a different god?

Dan