 Off-Topic / Debate / 16709
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:53:38 GMT

<snip>

Yes there is a
separation of *Church* and State, as there should be.  The state is suppose
to support *all* people, not just the ones who happen to go to a specific
church.  That does not mean that we have to separate God from the
people--don't go separating God from the country.

you're arguing about the semantics here.  Would it be ok with there were
state run mosques?  a mosque isn't a church, right?  I strongly believe that
the state should stay away from all religion.  Just like it shouldn't force
you to renounce god, it shouldn't force you to pay homage to one.

Everyone can believe what they, as individuals, want to believe.  So you
don't believe in a creator--seriously, that's your own opinion--stop forcing
that opinion on me.

I haven't tried to force it on you.  Why do you think the state should force
*your* opinion on *me*?

The society, in general, as the fonding of the
*nation*, the people, however you want to say it, started out as a God
loving country.  So stop trying to rewrite history, stop trying to say that
we have to go to the lowest common denominator that states 'oh we don't want
to offend *anybody* 'cause you're offending *me* when you do that.  You
can't make all the individuals in society happy--it's impossible.  So just
stop it.  Do what's *right*, what's Just, what's good for *the people*.  The
People believe in some god.  So shaddap when you say they don't.

I don't think anyone says the majority of americans don't believe in god.
Just that the US claims it has seperation of state and church (read:
religion).  Either stop claiming that, or live up to the claim!

Dan