 Off-Topic / Debate / 16387
Re: A bad taste picture (Re: Space Rocks!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 02:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.space, Chris Giddens writes:
Jeff your post is mainly motivated by an incident in BrickLUG chat, and I'm
sorry you felt the need to bring it up here.

The incident in chat motivated me to post, yes, but it was just the straw that
broke the camel's back.  People can only take so much abuse, and I reached my
limit.

Again, I'm sorry you felt the need to bring it up in here.  I'm sorry that
when you mentioned Classic Castle I mentioned Classic Space.  It was rather
mean of me to attempt a humorous jibe/pun.  My bad.

I'm sorry you think the "distasteful and mildly offensive" nature of one
picture and a couple of spaceheads saying "space." all the time is worth
getting in a huff.

I personally find the rampant castle bashing, and that image especially,
completely disrespectful.  I can't understand your need to always put castle
down, especially when I try to limit myself to playful ribbing of the models
themselves.

I'm sorry that jokingly I've said castles are grey boxes on the ground and
space is blue boxes that fly.  Good that you don't generalize ribbing, but
you stick to specifics and specific people's work.  That's better.

I'm sorry if our stepping up our talk of space cramps your style.

Did I say it did?  No, I most certainly did not.  I have no problems discussing
space and space MOCs, in fact, I often enjoy it.  What I have a problem with is
the constant put-downs leveled at castle, and the need of some people to
mention, not discuss or draw relation to, space

I'm sorry if I inferred anything.  I know you like to discuss castle, and
anime, and dragons, and stuff.  I'm sorry if space has been discussed a lot
lately in the chat and people enjoy it.

I'm sorry if we do the "rivalry" thing for fun...

Just because you find it fun doesn't mean the person on the recieving end of
your "humor" does.  Think about that next time.

(geez did you ever hear of great football rivalries like "Georgia vs Georgia
Tech" and stuff?  Hey, we poke fun, make jokes and then laugh about it.)

One good reason I don't like sports.  And do you know what happens when people
don't know when to end their "rivalry"?  Anger and sometimes violence.  There
has been a lot of talk about increased aggression and anger on Lugnet, have you
considered that mayber part of it stems from actions such as yours?

I'm sorry that your end of the "rivalry" ended up in your anger.  If the
picture on www.classic-space.com has disrupted Lugnet then I'm sorry.  A
bunch of us got a great laugh because of the silly smily face space man.
OOO SteveR gave me a super picture to add... it's naughty.

And I'm sorry that you felt the need to call us idiots.

I admit, that was probably uncalled for.  Anger tends to do that to people.

Again, I'm sorry that you got angry.

Dude, when some goofy jab comes your way... just jab back in fun.

No.  I don't like to act that way.  I find it disrespectful to bash people's
hobbies just for the sake of putting someone down, getting a rise out of them,
or making myself feel better.  And I should note that this is not teasing.
Teasing is ribbing someone for a spelling error for a couple hours.  It is NOT
bashing someone's hobby of choice for months on end just because of some inane
"rivalry."

I'm sorry that I didn't spell something wrong (which I usually do) so you
could tease me back.  Again it's good that you don't feel bad about focusing
your teasing on someone's simple mistakes.  It's bad to make jokes regarding
a general theme, and participating in bantering humor that a bunch of people
get.

Enjoy life, it's too short as it is.

I try, but you certainly haven't helped.

I'm sorry I've made life bad for you, I didn't realize the power I had I
guess. Thanks for helping me realize it.

Jeff

Chris <><