 Off-Topic / Debate / 16390
Re: A bad taste picture (Re: Space Rocks!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 11:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Giddens writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.space, Chris Giddens writes:
Jeff your post is mainly motivated by an incident in BrickLUG chat, and I'm
sorry you felt the need to bring it up here.

The incident in chat motivated me to post, yes, but it was just the straw
that broke the camel's back.  People can only take so much abuse, and I
reached my limit.

Again, I'm sorry you felt the need to bring it up in here.

I never mentioned the chatroom in my original post.  You're the one that
brought it up.

I'm sorry that when you mentioned Classic Castle I mentioned Classic Space.
It was rather mean of me to attempt a humorous jibe/pun.  My bad.

Correction:  When I try to discuss castle, you and others felt the need to put
it down.  Constantly.  It wasn't an occasional thing, it was virtually every
single time.  It may have been humorous to you and some other space fans, but
then all put-down type "jokes" are humorous to the ones telling them.

Good that you don't generalize ribbing, but you stick to specifics and
specific people's work.  That's better.

Making a mild joke about a specific thing on a MOC that one finds funny, like
engines that looke like electric razors or mecha with guns between their legs,
is rarely harmful, and people generally don't continue to joke about them
everyday for a year or more.  I admit the Castle vs. Space thing was somewhat
funny at the beginning, but that was over a year ago.  Its old and dead, let it
go.

I'm sorry if our stepping up our talk of space cramps your style.

Did I say it did?  No, I most certainly did not.  I have no problems
discussing space and space MOCs, in fact, I often enjoy it.  What I have a
problem with is the constant put-downs leveled at castle, and the need of
some people to mention, not discuss or draw relation to, space

I'm sorry if I inferred anything.  I know you like to discuss castle, and
anime, and dragons, and stuff.  I'm sorry if space has been discussed a lot
lately in the chat and people enjoy it.

Please read what I wrote.  I said I *don't* have a problem with people
discussing space, nor do I have a problem with someone drawing a correlation to
space, for example, saying "Yeah, that happened in .space a while back" and
then detailing the situation.  I like to look at many of the space MOCs people
make, and I comment on them and discuss them as well.  What I don't like is
attempting to bring up castle and having "space is better" type put-downs
thrown in my face.  Why do you feel this constant need to put the theme down?
Are you insecure about your preference for space?  That is usually the case in
similar situations I've encountered.

(geez did you ever hear of great football rivalries like "Georgia vs Georgia
Tech" and stuff?  Hey, we poke fun, make jokes and then laugh about it.)

One good reason I don't like sports.  And do you know what happens when
people don't know when to end their "rivalry"?  Anger and sometimes violence.
There has been a lot of talk about increased aggression and anger on Lugnet,
have you considered that mayber part of it stems from actions such as yours?

I'm sorry that your end of the "rivalry" ended up in your anger.  If the
picture on www.classic-space.com has disrupted Lugnet then I'm sorry.  A
bunch of us got a great laugh because of the silly smily face space man.

And a bunch of us thought it was in very poor taste and disrespectful.

And I'm sorry that you felt the need to call us idiots.

I admit, that was probably uncalled for.  Anger tends to do that to people.

Again, I'm sorry that you got angry.

Apology accepted.

Dude, when some goofy jab comes your way... just jab back in fun.

No.  I don't like to act that way.  I find it disrespectful to bash people's
hobbies just for the sake of putting someone down, getting a rise out of
them, or making myself feel better.  And I should note that this is not
teasing. Teasing is ribbing someone for a spelling error for a couple hours.
It is NOT bashing someone's hobby of choice for months on end just because of
some inane "rivalry."

I'm sorry that I didn't spell something wrong (which I usually do) so you
could tease me back.

Quit being so patronizing.  It doesn't help your case.

Again it's good that you don't feel bad about focusing your teasing on
someone's simple mistakes.

So you think it is bad to tease someone about a minor goof they made?  How is
putting someone down for liking a specific theme any better?  My, how
hypocritical.

It's bad to make jokes regarding a general theme, and participating in
bantering humor that a bunch of people get.

When the humor hurts or offends a person, yes, it is bad.

Enjoy life, it's too short as it is.

I try, but you certainly haven't helped.

I'm sorry I've made life bad for you, I didn't realize the power I had I
guess. Thanks for helping me realize it.

Power, right.  The same power everone has.  And please, stop being so
patronizing.  It really doesn't help you.

Jeff