 Off-Topic / Debate / 16108
  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes: <snip> I'm starting to realise something... Maybe should have realised it sooner. Perhaps we need a disclaimer from you. (or you from us) If I get the sense of what I snipped away, what you do when (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) The charter of the group reads as follows: "lugnet.off-topic.debate– Off-topic (non-LEGO®) discussions: debates, controversies, etc." Although it's called .debate, I had always thought that there was room for open personal discussions within (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) No, do NOT do that! My post was to try to clear up some confusion on my part (and perhaps others) on where you are coming from, and build a new basis for constructive dialog. If you take away from that the idea that I'm thinking you should not (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Hmmm...I think these are all very closely related ideas. Yes, debate has a specific meaning -- but classically, formal arguments are comprised of appeals to ethos, pathos, and logos. To use non-greek terms, a formal argument appeals to one's (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)