 Off-Topic / Debate / 16060
    Re: Couldn't resist bringing this to your attention(s) —Thomas Avery
   (...) I guess it depends on where you're from. 'Round here it's okay to use as a polite alternative to the other word that begins with "s" (also means feces). Sure, it's harsh critizism to call something "crap", but I don't consider it "dirty" (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Naughty Words? (was: Couldn't resist bringing this to your attention(s)) —Christopher L. Weeks
   What motivates people to be offended by a word? I sincerely don't get it. Racial epithets offend me if they're being seriously issued, but it's the idea, not the word. In the example of "crap" below, it seems clear that the person is actually (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Naughty Words? (was: Couldn't resist bringing this to your attention(s)) —Thomas Avery
   (...) Me either. I suspect it has some relation to peoples' upbringing. As a child, you're taught what's acceptable to say, and what's not. You quickly learn what words will pass, and what words will result in getting a bar of soap inserted in your (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)