 Off-Topic / Debate / 1602
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:14:52 GMT

First, explain to me how 2 gay men "create" a family.  Not possible. • Unless,
you
say, if they adopt.  In my perfect world, there would be no children for • such
"couples" to adopt, because orphaned children would be care for by • immediate
family first, and barren hetereos wishing children second.  I would say a • hetereo
couple wanting a child is preferrable to a gay couple wanting a child; if • that's
considered thinking the latter is inferior, then yes.

I believe I asked you to justify what could be inferior about 2 gay men as • the
head of a family unit, not simply to restate the fact that you believed
that :)

Ok, fine.  I think a child deserves to have a mother and a father.  Doesn't • matter
how much a man can care for a child, a woman does it differently, in a way a • man
can't.  And vice versa.  I guess I never analyzed the reason very closely, it • just
seemed obvious.

Hmmm - I have to admit to being impressed there. That's about the first
time I can ever remember seeing someone write down a reason for
gay couples not adopting which sounds vaguely plausible, thought out,
and not just based on quoting a mindless prejudice against gays.

I guess whether what you say is true and a woman can care in a
different way from a man and vice versa
is something that would be very hard to prove
either way. You'd also have to justify your implicit assumption that
not being cared for in both ways can potentially harm a child. That I suspect
would be even harder to do. It's not at all obvious to me.

From what you're saying I guess you might argue that, all other things
being equal, the order of preference for where to place a child
might be
Hetersexual couple (best), gay couple, single parent, local authority care
(worst).
But that would be only one factor - a gay couple that can show they
would care properly for the child would be preferable to a
heterosexual couple that can't.

I think same sex partners who want to raise children are selfish
and do not have the best interests of the children in mind.  I would question
their motives.

I don't see your point there. Aren't a heterosexual couple who decide to
have(conceive) a child being equally selfish? After all they are only
doing so for their own pleasure in bringing up the child. They can't be
making the decision for the welfare of the child (how can they be - the
child doesn't even exist until they make their decision!) But we'd normally
agree that doesn't matter as long as they love and care for the child
properly  once it's there.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com