 Off-Topic / Debate / 1578
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:10:59 GMT

OK - I'll bite on that one. I would agree that the traditional
nuclear family as a good foundation on which to build a stable society.
However, I can't see any reason why a family with - say - two gay men
at its head shouldn't be equally good, and although you don't say so
explicitly, you seem to be implying that you'd regard it as inferior.

First, explain to me how 2 gay men "create" a family.  Not possible.  Unless, • you
say, if they adopt.  In my perfect world, there would be no children for such
"couples" to adopt, because orphaned children would be care for by immediate
family first, and barren hetereos wishing children second.  I would say a • hetereo
couple wanting a child is preferrable to a gay couple wanting a child; if • that's
considered thinking the latter is inferior, then yes.

I believe I asked you to justify what could be inferior about 2 gay men as the
head of a family unit, not simply to restate the fact that you believed that :)

Why? Isn't how people treat each other and members of their families
the important thing  rather than their sexual orientation?

Yes, but it's more complicated than that.  All things being equal, would you
prefer a hetereo or a gay couple to raise a child?

I can't see any difference - as long as they are raising the child properly.
If I could see a difference I wouldn't have asked you :)

A lot of people do stupid things and their lives are train wrecks.  A lot • of
people are
unhappy.  Christianity offers a way to lead a meaningful life, not judgment • of an empty
one.

Whether one agrees with that statement is true, surely you'd have to
agree that it can only be relevant if people _choose_ to live
according to Christian principles - it's pointless forcing them to
do so by enacting laws (eg. anti-gay laws or anti-suicide laws)
if they don't agree with those principles.
(At least where other people are not being harmed)

I do.  And stop calling me Shirley;-)

Uh????

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com