 Off-Topic / Debate / 15718
15717  |  15719
Subject:
Does it pay to be a Patriot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:45:54 GMT

I've been reading a lot about supposed infringements on civil liberties
lately.  It doesn't require a significant search to find a site highlighting
an "infringement" that most citizens are ignorant of.  I find much of the
subject matter to be over my head and largely unbeleivable.  To add fuel to
the disbelief, many of the authors of these sites appear to be largely
Christian.

I've decided to call them Patriots.

They may or may not be religious zealots, but they are certainly afraid for
their country and fellow citizens.  These are people who seem to believe
that The People of the nation should remain free and in control of the
government.  They seem to believe that American Citizens are Freemen, who
have been given the natural-born Lawful rights of: Life, Liberty, and the
Pursuit of Happiness.  These Lawful rights have been given by a Higher Power
than the government and cannot be infringed upon.  It seems to be the belief
of these Patriots, that the current "Corporate Government" has inserted
itself as: Judge, Jury, and Executioner...or God, Mother, and Father.  They
seem to believe that what once was The People's rights have become priveledges.

I will be 27 yrs. old soon.  While I did well in High-School, I apparently
was not taught anything that I should have been.  I was not taught how to
watch my government's actions, or make an informed decision.  I was told to
read the newspapers and watch t.v. news, and I did that, but learned little
(maybe even lost some common sense).  It is only now, nearly ten years out
of High-School, have I begun to learn the things that I believe should be
taught.  We are taught to get a job rather than control our government.  It
is a shame.

So, now I wonder, does it pay to be one of these Patriots?  To believe in
the "Organic Constitution", one probably should believe in a higher power
than the Government.  I don't think that Christianity is the prerequisite,
but a Higher Power certainly seems to be the basis of the Constitution.  But
exactly who believes the Patriots?  They seem to be a shrinking minority,
but they appear to have an understanding of the Constitution that I was
never taught as well as an insight into current events that I tend to miss.

Are the Pariots just a bunch of "conspiarcy freaks", or are they what The
People should strive to be... Freemen?