 Off-Topic / Debate / 1569
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:35:24 GMT

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote:

In what way do you disagree with my take on democracy?  It's the rule >of
the people - by vote - so as long as 51% of the people who vote think
it's OK to kill me, then politically (if not morally) it is.  Right?  Wrong?

It's a simplified definition, I think you are talking about direct democracy, I
was talking more of a constitutional democracy, where the people have certain
rights (a.k.a. Bill of Rights) and protection from being murdered and so forth.

Like David Koresh?

A representative democracy is where the U.S. is now. I think your example is
more of a mob rule, perhaps.

I think that Mob Rule is where we are now...oh yeah, that is a
representative democracy.

Of course you can turn that back on me and replace the concept of fetal
tissue testing with murder and I can't really defend that murder should
only be financially avoided.  I agree with Larry that no system will be
perfect, I just think I can make it better.

Fair enough. I don't like the idea, are there companies that are doing that now?

Fetal testing or murder?  Both, I guess.

No, no no!!! Maybe I should change the statement to say I disagree with
everything that the modern Democratic Party stands for: Class warfare/envy,
Affirmative Action, no responsibility for anything, big government, big taxes,
race warfare, etc., everything "for the children", Abortion paid for by
government, welfare "rights", social security, etc.

I do not support those things either.  But here's how I view the words
"liberal" and "conservative."  Conservatives want things to stay as they
are (or were recently) and liberals are in favor of change.  Not all
change is good, and neither is the status quo.  In the political climate
of the US I consider myself a liberal WRT human rights (except that I
support the 2nd amendment) and conservative WRT fiscal issues.  But this
is imperfect too.

I despise everything liberalism is and what it stands for.

Wow.

I am and always will be a moral, and economic conservative.

Wow.  I'm glad that I can't claim that.  I strongly favor improvement.

I agree everyone, regardless of race, sex, religious background, etc. should
have equal protection.

Right.  That's a belief that we all have in common now, but it was
liberals fighting to make that happen against a conservative tide that
liked the status quo.  That's how we get progress.  I agree that US
liberals seem (right now) to be hell-bent on bankrupting the US but
they're just trying to fix some problems.  As usual, they're going about
it all wrong, but they come up with some pretty good ideas now and again.

I do not agree that because I am black or homosexual or a woman, that means that I
DESERVE special privileges, such as lowering of
standards to get into college, or the military, etc. That is wrong. I really

Wow, I didn't realize that you were a black lesbian.  Scott is an
unusual name for a black woman ;-)

I agree, mostly.  In an ideal world (Libertopia would be getting us
closer) we wouldn't have to even consider such things, but in our
current world, where such government meddling is normal, I'm not sure
that sometimes affirmative action is a bad thing.  For instance, is it
possible that getting blacks into (and graduated from) college to
provide role-models to other blacks is a terrific investment in the
future?  What if $30K spent that way saves us $100K in welfare?  (I'm
not picking on blacks, I really mean the lower SES segment regardless of
ethnicity which is largely irrelevant.)

The big harm (aside from stealing my money to fund it) that affirmative
action does is helping people to succeed such that they never get to
know if they succeeded based on their own merit, or only did so due to
assistance.  Same with welfare programs - they are degrading and people
using them long enough start to forget that.  They get used to being
leaches and forget what it is to be human.

As far as I can remember, Lincoln ended slavery,
there were a lot of both Republican and Democratic people on both sides of the
issue. The biggest segregationists were Southern Democrats, however. I think
slavery was horrid, and segregation equally as bad, and I am glad people stood
up for that and got it changed.

1) I don't thing segregation was equally bad, morally it was better and
actually is was better for some and worse for others.

2) What are you getting at with the slavery thing?  I'm not getting it.

Don't use that, however, for ever single issue, because it is not prevalent anymore.
It's history, learn from it, and never repeat it.

It's not prevalent, but it is still relevant.  Negroes in the US really
missed the boat in a big big way and nothing serious has been done to
fix it.  I'm not sure what can be. And I know it's wrong to hire people
just because of their race, but I think that the average Negro in the US
has a mindset that is less likely to bring fiscal success than the
average Caucasian.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks