 Off-Topic / Debate / 15640
Re: ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:02:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
What I fear is the *enslavement* of our society.

I think I want some clarification here-- society forces its members to abide by
its rules, written, spoken, inferred, whatever. It's the nature of a society.
And as the society grows, it becomes harder to avoid.

But isn't part of that reason the advantages that being part of a society
offers? If I wasn't dependant on money, credit cards, banks, etc, and had my
own physical currency, I'd need to store it. And worry about protecting it. Is
it too high a price to pay?

What level of "enslavement" would you deem acceptable? What's inacceptable? I
think the natural progression of a society will tend towards what the majority
feels is 'acceptable' and lean away from 'unacceptable'. That's the foundation
of why capitalism works-- it's got a feedback cycle. Not that it's perfectly
represented in the USA, nor that it can be (not that there is perfection,
either).

Anyway. I keep rambling and deleting paragraphs, so I'll just cut it short. You
seem to oppose things like being 'forced' to work for a living, etc. What
instead would you propose that would be more desireable?

DaveE