 Off-Topic / Debate / 15618
Re: An armed society...(what if?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:04:56 GMT

How many must there be for a conspiracy?

What if there are a few people at the top manipulating things with the use of
their power bases (law enforcement officers)?  Is that a conspiracy?  I am not
asserting that is the case, merely hypothesizing and clarifying.

  As further clarification, it might be useful to distinguish between the
Foucault's-Pendulum-style Conspiracies and simple two-guys-working-together
conspracies.  The former generally cannot exist in its described form, since
it demands far too much coordination, efficiency, and secrecy to be viable
in anything like the real world, despite what conspiraciphobes might assert
to the contrary.  The latter exists all the time and in many, many forms; my
coworker and I might conspire to sneak an extra fifteen minutes on our lunch
break, or a mayor and a police commissioner might conspire to loot the
"evidence" stash.
  Additionally, events can conspire without implying any devilish overseers
at the helm; a number of factors "conspired" to have a guy rear-end my
vehicle last month.  In that sense, "to conspire" simply means to work in
conjunction toward a single end, but I don't suspect that the Templars were
behind it.
  The essential difference relates to the level of organization and the
breadth of the enterprise in question.  I would suggest that disparate
factions working toward a similar goal do not constitute a Conspiracy; some
deliberate coordination between them is fundamental.  Thus, if Officer A
independently plants drugs on Person X in an effort to set him up, and if on
another occasion Officer B independently plants an illegal firearm on Person
X in an effort to set him up, I don't think that would count as a conspiracy
between the two Officers, since there was no intent of coordination.
  There aren't any ironclad distinctions of definition, and there is a lot
of room for blurring between capital-C and lower-case-c.

     Dave!