 Off-Topic / Debate / 15602
    Re: ??? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
   (...) I hope that my rail against the intentionalist part of his statements doesn't come across as a "hunky-dory" sense of complacency. If you look at the end of my other message, you'll see the point--there are problems, and they DO need to be (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: ??? —Kirby Warden
   (...) <snip> (...) I think you've read me wrong. I don't fear a "systemic failure" (I assume you mean the collapse of society?) What I fear is the *enslavement* of our society. At many levels we are already slaves. So long as we depend upon (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: ??? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Actually, given the basis of the USA as constituted--its core principles--I'd argue that enslavement would, in fact, constitute the collapse of our society. (But I did read you in the "enslavement" sense, actually.) But it would require some (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: ??? —David Eaton
   (...) I think I want some clarification here-- society forces its members to abide by its rules, written, spoken, inferred, whatever. It's the nature of a society. And as the society grows, it becomes harder to avoid. But isn't part of that reason (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)