 Off-Topic / Debate / 15545
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:05:29 GMT

My point being that to consider it "a necessary evil and be done with it"
discounts the possibility of it ever changing, and that would be pretty
short-sighted, even for US citizens.

Head-on disagreement here.  I think it would be short-sighted for anyone not
bearing arms to think of themselves as being free.  It is said that "freemen
bear arms" because it is both a freedom and duty of one that wishes to
remain free.

What if a society is mature enough to decide that guns have no place in the
community? Is that society no longer "free"?

Scott A

Of course they're still free... until someone comes and takes that freedom
away.  Then those "free" people might wish they had the means to keep that
freedom.