 Off-Topic / Debate / 15535
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:16:04 GMT

Assuming the gun is at some point fired (other than for hunting or target
practice) who is statistically the most likely recipient of the bullet?

Where would I find that stat?

I've read (and I'll try to find out where) that a gun in the home is X
number of times more statistically likely to kill or injure a member of the
household than an intruder.  I'll try to find a web reference.

I hope for a good solid citation -- one that you would accept if our stances
were reversed, not just some Newsweek opinion.  The NRA tells us that those are
made up by evil liberal-agendad politicians like Moynihan.  Kleck and Kates
(IIRC) suggest that it's merely a popular urban-rumor and that real data don't
support the notion.  (Unless of course, X less than one.)

Chris