 Off-Topic / Debate / 15491
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:55:56 GMT

"Mike Petrucelli" <lordi@erols.com> writes:

What I stated, or at least was trying to convey, was that Hitler was
an elected offical therefore "Democratic Elections" can not prevent
elected officals from abusing power.  An armed citizenry can prevent
abuse of power.

Let's take the Hitler example, then.  Hitler was not only democratically
elected (although I doubt the soundness of the process), but he also
enjoyed massive, sincere support from the population.

Still, I feel confident that there were heaps of people throughout
Europe who posessed guns, and wanted to kill Hitler.  But he still lived
until he (probably) committed sucide.  There were even higher officers
who tried to assassinate Hitler, but failed.  How would the presence of
more weapons in the population have helped prevent any of the crimes
committed by the Nazi reign?

The recent events may also have teached us that there exist other
objects beside guns which can be used as powerful weapons.

Fredrik