 Off-Topic / Debate / 15362
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:47:52 GMT

"tom" <tinosanto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GpJL5L.BLE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:

If its a majority opinion that it adds little value and the admin of such
free service also determines it so, its fine with me.  If it so turns out
that most people see no problem with the avatars, I accept that.  Maybe I
won't like it, but I'll accept it.

The like or dislike of something might not be legitimate grounds to ban • it,
but if there's a majority dislike, it should be weighed in.

Like or dislike, adding alot of value vs. adding little value does not
factor into it, they are lego-related images. Like it or not, they are. • And
Brickshelf is such a place to host Lego related images such as this.

Are you saying a majority opinion disliking the images would be irrelevant
because they are LEGO related?  Hypothetically, what if Kevin were to put up
a Brickshelf poll, asking his viewership if they wanted to continue to see
the avatars hosted there and the viewers overwhelmingly wanted to see them
removed?  Would their views be irrelevant because it is LEGO related?

And what if Kevin shared the views of a few of us and didn't like them and
banned them on those grounds?  Is he out of line?

What if I took a dump, piled it into studs like LEGO, called it a 2x4 brick,
took a picture of it and uploaded it?  I suppose you'd fight to keep that
allowed too because its LEGO related.

If it is lego-related then it belongs, like it or not.

Heading to the pot now...

(well, not really)

Did you see what I posted about the 'boy genius', not being mean, just do
not feel like re-typing it. But he seems to be the main person 'flooding'
where he could use one folder for all of his pics, not one folder for each
pic.

My guess is if he did that, he was doing it to flood Brickshelf.  He
probably realizes each folder gets featured on the Recent page when its
updated.  So, I would hope he would be corrected and asked not to do that
again.

Yes, they are expressing something. The stand-alone swear word is also
expressing an opinion, but not allowed because of the fact childern view
this page.

A swear word, devoid of all outside context, just the word itself and
nothing added, is not an opinion.  Its a statement of the noun or verb or
adjective it is attributed to

I'm sure you can talk to any Beanie Baby lover and they'll admit it (was) • a
fad, yet do they still like beanie babies?  Probably.

Yes, but do you say you HOPE the HP fad will fade?

No, I missed that part, my apologies.  Though Jon not liking Bionicle does
not negate or diminish the expression of his opinion.

Because that takes no work, and no imagination - anybody could use some
scanned image. But would that be better with you? It would be used to • serve
the same purpose as the mspaint images - but you make it seem if they used • a
scanned pic it would be ok.

It would be more asthetically pleasing to me, yes.  Not saying I would like
them then though.

Ok, here it is Tim, flat out - If you are TRULLY concerned about • brickshelf
being abused, then talk about the true violations of the TOS, the non-lego
related items. Stop wasting your breath on lego-related items.

I will decide what is wasting my breath and what isn't, thank you.

This is making you look like you are a stuck-up person.

No really?  I never said I wasn't opinionated.  Geez, I know a ton of people
here who are opinionated.  Big deal.

Some of my opinionated acquaintences do quite well for themselves here too.
I'm not doing too shabby either.  Opinionated isn't necessarily bad -
opinionated and lacking certain social graces to get along with others does
have negative consequences for the person though.

I doubt seriousy this thread is going to damage my 'image' in the eyes of
many other people than you.

Steve Runnels put it well in a recent post of his - 'Unfortunently, you
don't seem to see the fact that we understand that they ARE lego related.
That is not the problem, the problem is that (we believe) they are
disrupting Brickshelf's community as a whole.'

-Tim