 Off-Topic / Debate / 14673
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:05:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
I'm not sure I understood your notion of the source of morality, except
that you state that God didn't create it, and that confuses me.  Didn't He
create everything?  And is He or isn't He subject to it?  If He is, then
we're back to something greater than God.  If He's not, then we're back to
how do we know He's good?

Just jumping in for James, my guess is that he'd say that it's akin to
mathematics. God can't suddenly make 1==2 or 3+9=234. Humans "invented"
the basic rules mathematics, and the rest is true based on those rules, no
matter what. To take away the basics would no longer be "math". And likewise he
says that morality is an inherent function of conscious (and maybe lesser?)
living beings. To change morality would be to make us not alive and/or not
conscious. So while God (now I may very well be overstepping my estimation of
James' point) may be able to change/create morality by shaping the basic rules
of what we are (insofar as we are "alive" or not), He can't change morality but
leave our consciousness untouched, because morality is based on it. Make sense?

I won't try and answer for James on the "how do we know He's good" question,
though I can think of a few paths for him to take on it...

DaveE