 Off-Topic / Debate / 14664
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:48:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

Scientific principles simply exist, whether or not we understand them.  So do
moral principles, I'd argue.

  Forgive me if this comes across as trolling, but my understanding would
benefit from a few points of clarification.  Do you propose that morality is
self-evident?  I accept a priori your faith in God, but did God specifically
create morality, or is it a natural function of existence?  If morality
depends on the existence of sentient minds, then I think it is distinct from
scientific principles on that basis alone; gravity would work whether or not
sentient minds were around to perceive it. Interestingly, your comparison
between moral and scientific principles seems largely in tune with Lewis'
"Mere Christianity." I haven't read much else by him (other than Narnia when
I was 10), but I've noticed your quotes by him on several occasions.
  Whether God created morality or not, is He subject to it?  That is, if He
is not subject to morality, I am unable to imagine how one can conclude that
He is good, except by faith.
  Regardless, my earlier reply to your post was more hot-headed than was
appropriate, and I apologize for it; I was gearing up for a standard
bloody-knuckles theology debate, so my tone was poorly matched to that part
of the discussion.

     Dave!